The mission of the Building Standards Program is to protect the health and safety of the public and workers in the state by ensuring design and construction of safe buildings that meet minimum building (including accessibility), plumbing, mechanical, electrical, elevator and boiler standards and the promotion of energy efficient construction.
It is the mission of the Bureau of Weights & Measures Program to ensure that equity prevails in all commercial transactions conducted in the State of Montana.
Building Standards Goals & Objectives:
- Protect the health and safety of the public, employees and prospective building owners in the state by adoption of appropriate minimum codes. Enforce those codes and building code statutes to effect construction of safe, energy efficient and accessible buildings and building components, including passenger elevators and boilers.
- Provide prompt, courteous and efficient service to building owners, design professionals, contractors and trades persons in review and approval of plans; issuance of building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits; issuance of factory-built building insignias; and issuance of passenger elevator certificates and boiler certificates.
- Provide prompt, courteous and efficient permit issuance and field inspections to determine compliance with codes and for investigation of complaints.
- Provide field verification of compliance with plumbers' and electricians' licensing laws and rules on projects being inspected for compliance with plumbing and electrical codes.
- Refer apparent observed license law violations to Board of Plumbers and State Electrical Board for action.
Weights & Measures Goals & Objectives:
- Maximize the testing, inspection, and certification of commercially-used scales in Montana.
- Maximize the testing, inspection, and certification of retail and wholesale petroleum pumps and meters and liquid petroleum gas (LPG) meters used throughout Montana.
- Maximize the inspection and testing of pre-packaged consumer goods offered for sale in Montana.
- Maximize the testing for octane content of the various grades of gasoline offered that are offered for sale to the general public on an annual basis statewide.