Nursing contact information


301 South Park, 4th Floor (map)
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: (406) 841-2305

Board Office Contacts:
For information on applications and licensing contact:
Telephone: (406) 841-2202

For information on renewals, license verifications, and name changes contact: 
Telephone: (406) 841-2205

For information on continuing education:
Telephone: (406) 841-2380

For information on filing a complaint against a licensee contact:
Heidi Kaufman, Compliance Specialist
Telephone: (406) 841-2238

Board Management:
Cynthia Gustafson, PhD, RN Executive Officer
Board Management Bureau
Telephone: (406) 841-2380

  • Board Info.
  • License
  • Regulations
  • Forms
  • Complaints
  • Services
  • Education
  • Resources
  • FAQ







Montana Board of Nursing Frequently Asked Questions

1. I have recently moved. Do I need to change my address?

Yes. According to ARM 24.159.2301(1)(b), all nurses shall notify the board office of any change in address within ten days of the change. Failure to notify the board of an address change may result in a fine. To change your address: Click on the Board Information or Forms tabs, choose Address Change from the choices on the left, complete the Address Change Request Form, and Submit your request. You may also mail your request to: Montana Board of Nursing, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513, or fax your request to 406-841-2305. Requests must be in writing. <return to top>

2. I have recently gotten married or have gotten a divorce; do I have to change my name?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you change your name. However, the name displayed on your name badge MUST match your name as it appears on your license. To change your name: Click on the Board Information or Forms tabs, choose Name Change Form from the choices on the left, complete the Name Change Request Form, save or print the form. Submit your request either by email to, by mail to: Montana Board of Nursing, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513, or fax your request to 406-841-2305. Include one of the following with your request: a copy of your social security card or drivers license reflecting your new name, or a copy of the legal document changing your name (marriage license, divorce decree, etc.). <return to top>

3. My employer asked me for a copy of my license. Is this a requirement of the Montana Board of Nursing?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you have a copy of your license on file with your employer, in fact, the Board would discourage this practice as official verification of your license should come from the Boardís online verification system either through the Montana Licensee Lookup system at or the national system through <return to top>

4. I have recently had a baby and would like to stay home for a few years. Am I required to work a specific number of hours or maintain CE credits to keep my license active?

You do not have to work a certain number of hours to keep your license active. But you will need to have 24 contact hours every 2 years to maintain an active LPN or RN license. APRN endorsements require 40 contact hours focusing on the endorsement specialty, and Prescriptive Authority requires an additional 10 contact hours. A random audit of licensees will be performed to determine compliance with these rules. The current continuing education rules are on the Regulations tab above. <return to top>

5. During the last renewal period I put my license on Inactive status. I have now been offered a position. Can I re-activate my license?

Yes. You may re-activate your license at any time within 2 years following the renewal period in which you changed your license to inactive. Complete the Reactivation of an Inactive License form under the forms tab above. Submit the form with the appropriate fees. <return to top>

6. If I have misplaced my license, how do I get a duplicate?

You do not need to worry about having a paper copy of your license. An employer or reference can verify your license through two online systems: the Montana Licensee Lookup system at or the national system through The Board encourages use of the online system and not keeping a paper copy of your license as there have been instances in which a paper copy of a license was altered and used to falsify an actual license. <return to top>

7. If I move from Montana to another state or obtain employment that requires me to hold licensure in multiple states. Do I have to forfeit my Montana license?

No. The Montana Board of Nursing does not require you to forfeit your license. However, you may want to review the rules of the other state(s) of licensure. <return to top>

8. I am moving from Montana to a state which has compact licensure. Do I need to obtain licensure in that state?

Yes. The Montana Board of Nursing is not currently a compact state. Therefore, your Montana nursing license is not valid in any other state. <return to top>

9. I am a travel nurse and reside outside Montana. Am I required to be a resident of Montana to hold a Montana license?

No. The Montana Board of Nursing does not have any residency restrictions. <return to top>

10. I work as a telephonic nurse. Am I required to have a Montana nursing license?

Yes. Anytime you are providing nursing services to person in Montana, you are required to hold an active Montana Nursing license.
<return to top>

11. I am applying for licensure in another state. How do I obtain a license verification from the Board of Nursing?

The Board of Nursing is a participant of, an online national verification system. All information, including licensure, education and discipline, are reported weekly. Register with NURSYS at Inform the licensing specialist in the state where you are trying to obtain licensure know that you have registered with NURSYS, and the licensing specialist in that state can obtain verification from the NURSYS website. <return to top>

12. I would like a copy of the rules and statutes for the Montana Board of Nursing. How do I get a copy?

Click on the Regulations tab, and choose either Statute or Administrative Rules. The Office of Public Instruction (OPI) maintains the Statutes and may be contacted for a hardcopy. The Secretary of State maintains the Administrative Rules, and an eBook or printer friendly version is available. <return to top>

13. I would like to attend the next Board of Nursing meeting. May I attend? How do I know when it is? Can I request a topic be added to the agenda?

The Board of Nursing Education Committee, APRN & Practice Committee, and Full board meetings are all open to the public. You are able to attend in person or may listen via phone conference. To review the meeting agendas click on the Board Information tab, and choose Board Meetings from the left. Then click on Scheduled and Proposed Meetings and a list of the types of meetings, dates, agendas, and minutes are available. To request an item be added to the agenda, contact Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director, at 406-841-2380,, or send a letter to the board office at Board of Nursing, Attn: Cynthia Gustafson, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513. If your topic is added to the agenda, you will receive notification approximately 10 business days prior to the meeting. <return to top>

14. My company is trying to recruit new nurses. Can we obtain a list of licensed nurses in Montana?

Yes. Lists are available for purchase and can be sorted by license type, license status, statewide, out-of-state, or county. Click on the Services tab, choose Download List of Licensees from the left, then click on License Download System. You are able to choose your search criteria and see the fee prior to downloading the list. <return to top>

15. I am a licensed nurse and have witnessed a nurse abusing a patient; do I need to file a complaint?

Yes. Anytime you know of an infraction of the Board of Nursing rules, you are required to file a complaint. Failure to do so may be violating the Boardís administrative rule 24.159.2301 Conduct of Nurses. <return to top>

16. I would like to file a complaint against a licensed nurse. How do I do this?

To file a complaint: Click on the Complaints tab. You can review the complaint process and download the complaint form which must be completed. To contact the compliance department, call 406-841-2238, email at, or mail to Board of Nursing, Attn: Compliance Dept., PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513. <return to top>

17. I am a licensed nurse in Montana and am in the Military Reserves/National Guard. I have been called to active service. What do I need to do to ensure that my license continues to be valid?

The Board of Nursing does not require that your report your activation. However, as stated in 37-1-138, MCA, if you wish to have your renewal fees waived, you must provide the board office a copy of your activation papers and request that your license be placed on inactive status. Upon return from active duty, you must provide the board office with a copy of your discharge documents. At this time the board office will evaluate your documents and notify you of the next step.>

18. I have just received my license in the mail and see that it expires soon. What is the renewal period for licenses?

All RN, LPN, and APRN licenses expire on December 31st of even numbered years. Medication Aide I and II licenses expire on March 31st annually. <return to top>

19. I think I forgot to renew my license. What do I do now?

You may renew your license up to 2 years after the expiration date: Click on the License tab, and choose License Renewal Information on the left. You are able to renew online with an e-Check or Credit Card by clicking on Renew Online or going to and login in with your User Name and Password. If you do not know your User Name or Password, please contact the board office. You may also download or print a renewal form and mail it in with a check or money order made payable to the Montana Board of Nursing for the appropriate fee. If your license has been expired for longer than 2 years, you must reapply for licensure. <return to top>

20. I live in Montana but go to a school in another state. Am I still able to fulfill my clinical requirements in Montana facilities?

. The Board of Nursing shall approve students enrolled in programs outside of the state to fulfill their clinical hours in Montana facilities. See ARM 24.159.608 for specific instructions and requirements to make the request to the Board. This rule ONLY applies to nursing programs leading to initial licensure as an RN or LPN, not RN to BSN programs. <return to top>

21.I live in Montana but went to school in Canada because the school was closer. Am I considered a Foreign Educated applicant?

Yes. Anytime an applicant is educated outside of the United States they are considered to be foreign educated and must complete all requirements of a foreign educated applicant. See ARM 24.159.1029 for PN applicants and ARM 24.159.1229 for RN applicants. <return to top>

22. I recently graduated from an approved nursing program. What do I do now?

When you have graduated from an approved nursing program, you will need to complete the Board of Nursing examination application and register with Pearson VUE. You may find the application and instructions on the License tab above, and choose the appropriate license type from the left. To register with Pearson VUE call (866) 496-2539 or visit <return to top>

23. How far do I have to travel to take the NCLEX and what day is the test given?

An applicant for licensure by examination can take the NCLEX at ANY Pearson VUE testing site. The applicant need NOT take the NCLEX at the Montana sites in Helena or Billings to be licensed in Montana. You will work with Pearson VUE to determine the testing site and time to take the NCLEX exam. To register with Pearson VUE call (866) 496-2539 or visit <return to top>

24. I am an LPN. Can I be a charge nurse?

Refer to the Board of Nursing statute 37-8-102 Definition (8b) to review this role specific to a long-term care facility. <return to top>

25. I have just graduated from my RN program. Am I required to give up my LPN license?

No. The Board of Nursing does not require that you relinquish your LPN license when you are granted an RN license. <return to top>

26. How do I contact the Board of Nursing?


Phone: 406-841-2202 for Licensing questions. For questions related to practice, rules, education call Cynthia Gustafson, Executive Director, at 406-841-2380.

Mail: Montana Board of Nursing, 301 S. Park Ave. 4th Floor, PO Box 200513, Helena, MT 59620-0513.
<return to top>